Home Forums Members Forum The Pros & Cons Of Laser Eye Surgery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Damien

Most want to enjoy work and leisure with clear vision, too.

But the idea of eye surgery — and being awake during it — can be scary. Nor is the procedure, which involves cutting a small flap in the cornea surface cells in order to reshape the cornea underneath it, right for everyone.

Others may balk at the price: The average cost per eye, according to Hood, is about $2,200.

Because LASIK isn’t typically covered by insurance, some people might choose to save and pay for it via a flexible spending account. U-M’s credit union also offers financing plans.

No matter the concern, “we help (patients) weigh the risks and benefits,” Hood says. “For some people, it’s a no-brainer.”

Here, he explains several pros and cons of LASIK:

Pro: LASIK eye surgery is quick and safe
    Performed as an outpatient procedure, LASIK might take about 20 minutes — “and most of that time is spent getting set up for surgery,” Hood notes.

Recipients, who remain awake, may be given a Valium to calm their nerves. For protection and peace of mind, the laser is designed to shut off if a patient’s eye makes any sudden movements that could prompt error or injury.

Con: Not everyone is eligible
    Those deemed unsuitable often are 40 and older. That’s because they may have presbyopia, where the lens of the eye becomes stiff and hinders close-up vision (LASIK alters the cornea, not the lens).

Another similar surgery known as photorefractive keratectomy, or PRK, can be better for people with high prescriptions or very thin corneas, Hood notes, because they lack “enough residual cornea to be structurally sound” for the flap-making that LASIK involves.

#36382 Reply
    SimonMiller

It sounds like you are a doctor or a medical agent)) I also studied everything that laser microsurgery offers for a long time but .. I could not make a final decision on this issue. link But I had no problems with the choice of medical glasses on this link. There is a large catalog of both ordinary and special glasses with non-standard diopters. It all depends on the desire of the client .. This definitely does not cause internal rejection in me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: The Pros & Cons Of Laser Eye Surgery
Your information:

Skip to content